Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: python SR plugin questions

To: Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: python SR plugin questions
From: yamamoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (YAMAMOTO Takashi)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 18:07:58 +0900 (JST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 02:08:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

thanks for quick reply.

> Hi there,
>
> On 19 May 2010, at 03:35, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm writing a python sr plugin for our product and have a few questions.
>>
>> - our product has 32-bit id, not uuid, for each volumes, which i want to map
>>  to xcp's vdi.  i generate name-based uuid from the 32-bit id in sr.scan and
>>  vdi.create.  is this a reasonable approach?
>>

> You can use the 'location' field in the VDI to contain your 32 bit id - then
> the uuid is irrelevant. I'd like to move more of the storage backends in this
> direction - currently I believe only the ISO SR does it this way.

ok.  in that case, xapi generates random uuids for me, right?

>> - how can i get name-label specified by "xe vdi-create" in my vdi.create?
>>  i want to pass it to our product.
>>

> Unfortunately this isn't possible at the moment. What you could do is pick
> the name up on a subsequent scan. This is ugly, I know, and might not even
> work if you need the name at VDI create time, but it's all we've got at the
> moment. This is on my list of things to fix about the SMAPI.

sad to hear. :(

our product needs a unique and preferably human readable name for
the VDI at create time.  do you have any suggestion?
probably i have to use uuid generated by xapi?

YAMAMOTO Takashi