[Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 on RHEL6 beta

To: "Xen-Devel (xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 on RHEL6 beta
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 May 2010 09:06:47 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I played with installing Xen 4.0 on the RHEL6 beta a bit, worked my way
through/around some issues, ran into some other issues that were over
my head, and decided to give up for now.  But I thought I'd start a
basenote for anyone else who wants to try this.  If you get it working
(or even make more progress), please reply to this note.

Here's what I did:

1) Installed RH6 beta from x86_64 DVD.iso choosing software dev option
2) Installed mercurial rpm (on DVD... git is already there)
3) hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-4.0-testing.hg
4) Found and installed FC13 uuid-devel and uuid rpms (but see below)
5) Found and installed FC13 dev86 rpm
6) Downloaded and installed acpica/iasl stuff

7) make world install (actually, for me, GIT_HTTP=y make ...)
   It appears that pvops dom0 2.6.31.13 gets downloaded.

8) I found that blktap2 seems to use some version of uuid-devel
that is inconsistent with FC13, so I turned off blktap2 in
the tools Makefile.  Not sure if uuid-devel is needed elsewhere
so it may be possible to disable that dependency rather than
find/install the rpm's as above.

9) I found that building stubdom caused some problems when
doing "make install" so I turned it off in the main Makefile.

10) make completed successfully (except for docs)

11) depmod 2.6.31.13
12) mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.31.13.img 2.6.31.13

The mkinitrd had a lot of errors but still generated the initrd.  But
after looking at the errors and build-linux-2.6-pvoops_x86_64/.config
it appears that the default dom0 config file is missing a lot of
important config options so I didn't even attempt to boot dom0.

Things left to do:
o Figure out a complete dom0 config file that works on RHEL6beta
o Figure out all the options for mkinitrd
o Boot it!

Other stuff:
o Consider using a newer pvops git tree as RHEL6 is 2.6.32 (with
  a LOT of patches).
o Consider figuring out a simpler partitioning than the default
  install in case all the devmapper stuff causes problems.
o Ensure iptables is turned off (no option at install as RHEL5 has)