This is an archived copy of the Xen.org mailing list, which we have preserved to ensure that existing links to archives are not broken. The live archive, which contains the latest emails, can be found at http://lists.xen.org/
Home Products Support Community News


[Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 on RHEL6 beta

To: "Xen-Devel (xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 on RHEL6 beta
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 May 2010 09:06:47 -0700
Envelope-to: www-data@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
List-help: <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=help>
List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
List-post: <mailto:xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
List-subscribe: <http://lists.xensource.com/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel>, <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=subscribe>
List-unsubscribe: <http://lists.xensource.com/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel>, <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=unsubscribe>
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I played with installing Xen 4.0 on the RHEL6 beta a bit, worked my way
through/around some issues, ran into some other issues that were over
my head, and decided to give up for now.  But I thought I'd start a
basenote for anyone else who wants to try this.  If you get it working
(or even make more progress), please reply to this note.

Here's what I did:

1) Installed RH6 beta from x86_64 DVD.iso choosing software dev option
2) Installed mercurial rpm (on DVD... git is already there)
3) hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-4.0-testing.hg
4) Found and installed FC13 uuid-devel and uuid rpms (but see below)
5) Found and installed FC13 dev86 rpm
6) Downloaded and installed acpica/iasl stuff

7) make world install (actually, for me, GIT_HTTP=y make ...)
   It appears that pvops dom0 gets downloaded.

8) I found that blktap2 seems to use some version of uuid-devel
that is inconsistent with FC13, so I turned off blktap2 in
the tools Makefile.  Not sure if uuid-devel is needed elsewhere
so it may be possible to disable that dependency rather than
find/install the rpm's as above.

9) I found that building stubdom caused some problems when
doing "make install" so I turned it off in the main Makefile.

10) make completed successfully (except for docs)

11) depmod
12) mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-

The mkinitrd had a lot of errors but still generated the initrd.  But
after looking at the errors and build-linux-2.6-pvoops_x86_64/.config
it appears that the default dom0 config file is missing a lot of
important config options so I didn't even attempt to boot dom0.

Things left to do:
o Figure out a complete dom0 config file that works on RHEL6beta
o Figure out all the options for mkinitrd
o Boot it!

Other stuff:
o Consider using a newer pvops git tree as RHEL6 is 2.6.32 (with
  a LOT of patches).
o Consider figuring out a simpler partitioning than the default
  install in case all the devmapper stuff causes problems.
o Ensure iptables is turned off (no option at install as RHEL5 has)

Xen-devel mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>