Re: [Xen-devel] cpupools and locking

To: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] cpupools and locking
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:00:16 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 May 2010 02:01:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/05/2010 06:25, "Juergen Gross" <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> cpupool_do_domctl is called always while the domctl lock is being held. Maybe
> I should have added a comment to document this assumption.

Yes please. Even better would be to explicitly add your own big lock in
cpupool.c, just for clarity. And why do you need your 'little' lock around
the lookup operations at all, in that case? It seems unnecessary if you have
a bigger lock protecting you; yet insufficient if you do not.

> Keir's patch to move the cpupool commands to the sysctl interface makes a
> change of the locking mandatory. I'll setup a patch for this.

Well, there is a big sysctl_lock too, so your cpupool commands will still be
serialised. If you require serialisation against *other* domctl operations
then yes, you now have an issue. You could just grab the domctl lock of
course (no current ordering constraints on the two locks, and there is an
API for acquiring/releasing the domctl lock).

 -- Keir