[Xen-devel] x86-64/kexec: crashkernel= without @xM suffix

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] x86-64/kexec: crashkernel= without @xM suffix
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:42:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:41:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Was this ever tested by anyone? Has it ever worked with any Linux
as secondary kernel? We're getting reports (and analysis confirms
this) that the fact that Xen places the hole at the highest suitable
address below 4G prevents kexec from working.

A possible fix is non-obvious, since there doesn't appear to be a
hard boundary below which the hole must reside (especially for a
32-bit secondary kernel; for a 64-bit one it seems like any place
below 2G would be acceptable).

Simply using Linux' strategy and allocating at the lowest possible
address doesn't seem too nice a solution either, as we try to
conserve on the use of low memory as much as possible almost
everywhere else.

Thanks, Jan