Re: [Xen-devel] pv-grub boot hangs when iommu=soft. Booting kernel direc

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pv-grub boot hangs when iommu=soft. Booting kernel directly with the flags works
From: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:33:19 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, listmail <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:33:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, le Wed 07 Apr 2010 12:24:16 -0400, a écrit :
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 02:25:07AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > (Note: I don't know at all about what iommu=soft does, so for now I'm
>
> The iommu=soft enables in the kernel the Software IOMMU. This is
> required for PCI passthrough devices. But the problem isn't with those
> flags (I've asked the user to extract the kernel and initrd and use
> those exact parameters and just do a PV boot - and it worked).
>
> The problem is that MiniOS is doing something wrongly..

In combination with those flags.

> I don't know if the problem is with arguments

I doubt this as I do already pass arguments to my kernels fine.

> or if the underlaying storage is the issue (tap:aio) with MiniOS.

The user should try the simplest way (i.e. the provided pv-grub
configuration examples), and then from there, check which flags makes
things not work.

Samuel