Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] xen-3.0.gz and linux-2.6-xen0

Hello,

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:31:16AM +0530, Onkar Mahajan wrote:
>         >    What is the difference between
>         >    (1) linux-2.6-xen0
>

>         linux kernel suitable for being used in dom0.
Download, configure and compile. Some pre-built kernels are available in
many distros.

>         >    (2) xen-3.0.gz
3.0 is a pretty old one, you should use 3.4.
You download the code, load some dependencies, compile and install.
For me (debian) the minimal dependencies are :
linssl-dev
zlib-dev
bin86
bcc
elks-libc
python2.5-dev
python-xml
Many distros have pre-built Xen packages.

>         This is the actual Xen hypervisor.
> How is this generated ?
> I mean if  I get the source code from the git. How should I generate
> xen-3.0.gz ?
>

>         >    (3) linux-2.6-xenU ?
>         >

>         linux kernel suitable for being used in a PV guest/domU.
> This is generated like  this KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen0
> linux-2.6-xenU , right ???
You will have to install a whole system in your Virtual Machines, most
kernels are working very well under the Xen hypervisor, you can even
create Windows virtual machines.