Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch RFC] ttm: nouveau accelerated on Xen pv-ops k

To: Arvind R <arvino55@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch RFC] ttm: nouveau accelerated on Xen pv-ops kernel
From: Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:27:12 -0400
Cc: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:28:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/23/2010 02:21:31 AM:

*snip*
> > with "NOUVEAU(0): Opened GPU channel 1".
> This is strange - channel 1 is the console channel. This appears in
dmesg on
> nouveaufb initialisation before EDID probe to find connected outputs.
> Start X manually to avoid confusion of logs.
>
> Have attached ttm_xen.patch which updates vm_page_prot after changing
flags.
> This is not done in the mainline drm-tree. But in the xen (old)
> drm-tree this is done in
> BOTH ttm_bo_mmap AND ttm_fbdev_mmap - and the attached patch does both,
> along with the conditional VM_IO in bo_mmap. And the second vm_page_prot
> update is for fbdev_mmap which corresponds to channel 1. Cross
> fingers and try!

Actually, both hunks of that patch are already applied in my tree.  The
git tree from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6 appears to
already be doing the vm_page_prot update in both places.  Maybe the
official nouveau dev tree is hosed?  Odd that it would work fine
bare-metal...

*snip*
> >> Xorg used to hang saying 'Opened Channel 2' and not 1.
> >
> > Now that's strange.  Every single one of my boxes says Opened Channel
1,
> > with now reference to channel 2 at all.
> Channel 1 in dmesg/syslog;  Xorg.log snippet:
> (II) LoadModule: "shadowfb"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadowfb.so
> (II) Module shadowfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>     compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.0.0
>     ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
> (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Opened GPU channel 2  <initial hang point>
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): [DRI2] Setup complete    <after patch>
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): GART: 512MiB available
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): GART: Allocated 16MiB as a scratch buffer
> (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
> (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
> (II)         Solid
> (II)         Copy
> (II)         Composite (RENDER acceleration)
> (II)         UploadToScreen
> (II)         DownloadFromScreen
> (==) NOUVEAU(0): Backing store disabled
> (==) NOUVEAU(0): Silken mouse enabled
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): [XvMC] Associated with Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured
Video.
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): [XvMC] Extension initialized.
>

> Try with
> Option "ShadowFB"  "true"
> in Device section of xorg.conf (turns off acceleration) to check. The
option
> also sets NoAccel on and X should use the FB device

Tried this.  GDM starts fine in Xen and I can log in, but wow slow.  Now
there's no reference to any GPU channel being opened in my X log.

---
Michael D Labriola
Electric Boat
mlabriol@xxxxxxxx