[Xen-devel] Memory hot-add and c/s 20892: bad interaction?

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Memory hot-add and c/s 20892: bad interaction?
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:32:51 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 02:33:11 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan, Yunhong,

I was just thinking about xen-unstable:20892, which exposes real current
max_mfn to guests, so that they can more accurately clamp their m2p address
translations.

I was wondering whether this changeset is actually a bad idea in light of
memory hot-add, as now implemented by Yunhong? I would imagine this can mean
that max_mfn is now dynamic, and can increase in value after boot. So would
20892 thus leave all existing guests (e.g., dom0!) broken after a hot-add
which adds new highest RAM addresses?

 -- Keir