Re: [Xen-devel] profiling active RHEL 4 PV domains with xenoprof

To: Andrew Evans <andrewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] profiling active RHEL 4 PV domains with xenoprof
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:41:55 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:42:19 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type; bh=zVY/pTgC/XM8mnkV7gUvxTSkW6r/rrRKicU/h7z3ub4=; b=lVxs8iCm3V7jKUDyoQQckZUWNQguIPjS0I7zWwPU89JPfPxb+2qxzAdbvbe4NfLY0T Ql6goRJc+h9a4oeCt3T/BQBchbkkmk6Sakzy+c6U+omZixBK46JIYB5neGunUrKPOd36 AJymYplDL7WzkbO2ZOJvmfP77z1PqGjUi7dXk=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's been a long time since I played with oprofile; I think it could
use some serious attention, but it's been on my "list of important
things to do someday" for about 2 years now. :-)

Re the PV kernels: are you sure that the PV kernel has support for Xen
profiling? PV xenoprofile makes hypercalls to Xen to set up the
performance event counters.  But if that isn't set up properly, or for
some other reason doesn't work right, the guest oprofile may default
back to using only timers, for which it doesn't need Xen's help (but
which are less accurate especially in a virtual environment).

 -George