[Xen-devel] Question on hyperthreading and Westmere processors.

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question on hyperthreading and Westmere processors.
From: "Roger Cruz" <rcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:36:59 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:37:21 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi folks,

I’m wondering if one of you could answer a couple of questions with regards to the new Intel processors and VM scheduling when hyperthreads are involved.

1)       For Nahelem/Westmere processors, Intel has a feature where it can turbo the processor’s frequency.  In an SMP environment, would this turbo boost affect Xen in any ways?  For example, does the TSC offset computation between processor’s becomes invalid?  Are there any other features or reasons why a Westmere processor would cause a problem for Xen?

2)       These new processors have hyper threading enabled.   Is Xen’s scheduling algorithm cognizant of threads so that it can most effectively schedule VMs on idle cores rather than use an idle thread on a busy core?

Let me explain that better.  For example, on 1 quad-core HT-enabled processor server,  there are a total of 8 working units (4 cores + 4 threads).   Assume we labelt them this way: [core#,thread#]: [0,0], [0,1], [1,0], [1,1], [2,0], [2,1], [3,0], [3,1].  If there are 3 VMs exist, does the scheduler arrange the VMs such that VM1 is on [0,0], VM2 is on [1,0], and VM3 on [2,0]?  Or does it tread all the work units without regards to their locations and schedule them as [0,0], [0,1] and [1,0], for example?  In the latter case, two VMs are schedule on the same core, which would be less effective than scheduled on the idle core.

Thanks

Roger