Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops reassigndev for pci passthrough

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops reassigndev for pci passthrough
From: Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:22:02 -0500
Cc: "xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:23:55 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> As a hack you can eliminate the check in the Xend python code for this
> and see how far you can go. Just remember that it is a hack :-)

Might try this if I get a spare moment... just to see what happens ;-)

> I had not ported it over. My thought was to write code in the pciback
code
> that would do this automatically (if BARs are found to be not BAR
aligned).

> Thought I am unsure of why this was not explored - are there any
badtechnical
> reasons to make BARs page-aligned after the device has been enabled (and
then
> disabled)?
>
> I am taking aside the Linux kernel resources structs (request_resource
> and its friends), which probabally will throw a fit.

Yeah, I always kinda wondered why this wasn't done automatically by
pciback.  Having pciback do it would mean that even non-BAR aligned
devices could be exported after booting and w/out specifying PCI IDs as
kernel args.  That would be one fewer issue to fix later in the
upstreaming effort.

-Mike