[Xen-devel] RE: Live migration fails due to c/s 20627

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xu, Dongxiao" <dongxiao.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Live migration fails due to c/s 20627
From: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:43:55 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx" <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dugger, Donald D" <donald.d.dugger@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:45:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>.  And, as I've said before,
> the node/cpu info provided by Linux in TSC_AUX is
> wrong anyway (except in very constrained environments
> such as where the admin has pinned vcpus to pcpus).

I don't agree with you at this point. For guest numa support, it should be a
must to pin virtual node's vcpus to its related physical node and crossing-node
vcpu migration should be disallowed by default, otherwise guest numa support is
meaningless, right ?
If vcpu's migration only happens in its physical node, I can't see why you
thought the info provided in the MSR is wrong.   Actually, each vcpu should
have a virtual TSC_AUX_MSR(guest should set it before using it), and this
virtual MSR is saved/restored from/to physical TSC_AUX_MSR between context
switch, so in vmx non-root mode the value in physical TSC_AUX_MSR should follow
guest's setting rather than host's setting , and it also reflect guest's info
related to virtual node/virtual cpu, and it still should be the expected value
for guest's applications.  In addition, we have to know host's TSC_AUX_MSR and
guest's TSC_AUX_MSR are totally two different things except that they are saved
in one physical register in cpu's different execution phases, shouldn't  mix
them together.
Xiantao