RE: [Xen-devel] GPLPV and >1TB disks - bad blocks in Windows VM

To: <apivanov@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] GPLPV and >1TB disks - bad blocks in Windows VM
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:32:52 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:33:17 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hello guys,
> I posted this question to xen-users list but no feedback so far.
> is it a known fact that one can not use logical drives more than 1TB in
> windows VM with GPLPV?
> I'm running centos5.4 with xen 3.4.2 and gplpv_2003x64_0.10.0.138.msi drivers.

I did some work a while back to get GPLPV working with larger disks. That was
to fix a problem with 2TB disks though (512 * 2^32 bytes) as once you get
larger than a 32 bit block address you need to go to 64 bit block addresses
which is a different set of scsi commands.

That was a while ago though and it's possible that bitrot has crept in... I'll
test with a 4TB (or something like that) sparse file and see what happens.

Can you confirm that a PV Linux domain has no such problems?

James