Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Crash with c/s 20097 (x86 vmx: Update EIP when appro

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Crash with c/s 20097 (x86 vmx: Update EIP when appropriate during task switch)
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:42:16 +0000
Cc: Kouya Shimura <kouya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 05:42:53 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 02/12/2009 12:09, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Argh, stupid, and probably my mistake. I'll push the
> __get_instruction_length() inside the if()s.

I refactored the code as xen-unstable:20561. If that looks agreeable and
correct to you then I will also backport to 3.4-testing.

> Fortunately we never inject software interrupts or exceptions. I reworked
> the code to avoid that a long time ago, due to just such concerns. Possibly
> we should even ASSERT as such in the event-injection functions.

I decided against this because we write to VM_ENTRY_INTR_INFO in a few
places so it's not nice and centralised. But it's pretty obvious that SWInts
and SWExcs are not in the picture since we never write
VM_ENTRY_INSTRUCTION_LENGTH. So we're obviously safe (or even more utterly
broken :-) ).

 -- Keir