Re: [Xen-devel] Crash with paravirt-ops 2.6.31.6 kernel

To: William Pitcock <nenolod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Crash with paravirt-ops 2.6.31.6 kernel
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:31:46 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:33:36 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:21:44AM +0300, William Pitcock wrote:
> Hi Konrad,
>
> ----- "Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk" <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > [    1.254927] init[1] general protection ip:f779042f sp:ff9b0340
> > error:0
> >

> This is a domU kernel only.  And I am aware that init crashing is the
> reason why.  My paravirt-ops dom0 kernels boot fine, but they are 64bit
> userland.

Sure. But those options (especially for Xen) will make the progress of
guests (especially if they do something weird) much more verbose.

> The reason why I ask is because this only happens with the paravirt-ops
> tree, e.g. not with the XenLinux 2.6.18 tree or the forward ports.
>
> I think it might be related to the stackprotector option?

Could be... have you tried turning CONFIG_STACKPROTECTOR_SOMETHING off?

And are you using QEMU for this guest? Right now, the frame buffer (xen-fbfront)
in domU pv-ops causes a page-fault that hangs DomU. This only surfaces if you
are using 'vfb' in your .xm file.