[Xen-devel] VIRQ_CON_RING

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] VIRQ_CON_RING
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:19:32 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:19:53 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is there any real user for this vIRQ? I'm asking because, while debugging
a problem that required to add some printk()s that could temporarily issue
at a high rate, I ran into the situation that this extra output prevented
guest/dom0 boot from making any progress. As I then realized this was
due to the tasklet_schedule() called from inside the console handling
code, which resulted in subsequent hypercall_preempt_check() to force
exit (after creating a continuation) from the respective hypercall handler
immediately.

While I realize that for compatibility reasons (even in the case of there
not being a current user) it may not be possible to drop this vIRQ
altogether, I wonder whether it would be possible to avoid scheduling
the tasklet when the vIRQ has no handler and/or is already pending.

Jan