Re: [Xen-devel] performance tools on xen

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] performance tools on xen
From: Dante Cinco <dantecinco@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:56:35 -0800
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:47:30 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=ZkGKHx1eISqeDxs66TZKd02yQn2sK7mhu1mTKqTYU8s=; b=M2gX4dc+6Wnw61vSAP+LZHScbfx6sIv6qapqzu/BF5XYcLjxh9sVw4i8GlJHQKQ6RF XDjpt0wPMw9v8M6sGMJWbSDKxMJrTfGuadiWujdkuiQMHWyCpGJd0OY3np6jAEyhHIS6 1guzdx5EjFFELsWjUwJZdIk8Kt19OPCR4d9lQ=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy,

I searched Mark Mail for "xenoprof pvops" and found this email from dulloor:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=xenoprof+pvops#query:xenoprof%20pvops+page:1+mid:yyzbymymat3rtivo+state:results

Do you know if dulloor's patches for xenoprof for linux pvops got applied?

Dante

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/29/09 19:36, Santos, Jose Renato G wrote:
> Dante,
>
> To run OProfile in Xen you need support in the kernel and in the
> OProfile user level tools.
> The user level patches were never merged on mainline OProfile. You
> need to apply a patch to the OProfile sources before compiling them. I
> did not have time to port the patch to OProfile 0.9.5 yet, so the
> latest available patch is for Oprofile 0.9.3. You can download that
> from http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/.
>
> Regarding the kernel I am not sure if the OProfile extensions for Xen
> were already merged in the pvops kernel. You will need to ask that to
> Jeremy. I know that OProfile works with the 2.6.18-xen and the XCI
> 2.6.27-xen versions. I have never tried running the pvops kernel yet.

I have not looked at Xen+Oprofile, so there's no support in the pvops
kernel as yet.  If someone who's familiar with that stuff could generate
a patch, I'd be happy to include it.