[Xen-devel] pv_ops (2.6.31) and CONFIG_NO_HZ

To: "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] pv_ops (2.6.31) and CONFIG_NO_HZ
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:45:19 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:46:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Has anyone looked at using CONFIG_NO_HZ with an upstream
pv_ops kernel?  This seems like an intelligent combination...
since pvclock is a good timesource, it seems like there
should be no reason to have a regular tick, and one
could pack more idle domains into one physical machine.

I tried enabling CONFIG_NO_HZ from an otherwise working .config
file for 2.6.31 and the new kernel (running as a PV domU) panics early
in boot ("Kernel panic -- not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
with a call trace of syscall_call->sys_exit_group->do_group_exit->
do_exit->panic).  So I'm wondering if I did something stupid
or it is known to not work.

Thanks,
Dan