Re: [Xen-devel] How can Xen trigger a context switch in an HVM guest do

To: XiaYubin <xiayubin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How can Xen trigger a context switch in an HVM guest domain?
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:05:09 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:05:36 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=Tbu81agKJ3zTvrLwfnQHwEHRiNh6ZC4Aex1ycs8KzOE=; b=IlFVRR8Woa4hqi0/0uL9RTSDQyJHRrpk5OaeXscJnM/nfEMwyKrme3oye2GxSMkgKQ XYF0sEANPxydfrojKe8jyo4NxJYWZ5a6g/MfTNoJLKazNDIiB9zyR3IGxMiOATr67DLN D6j4YHubBzLm3RXoWIp9qYhznqg1rU+gU8ZX8=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, so you want to allow a VM to run so that it can do packet
processing in the kernel, but once it's done in the kernel you want to
preempt the VM again.

An idea I was going to try out is that if a VM receives an interrupt
(possibly only certain interrupts, like network), let it run for a
very short amount of time (say, 1ms or 500us).  That should be enough
for it to do its basic packet processing (or audio processing, video
processing, whatever).  True, you're going to run the "cpu hog" during
that time, but that will be debited against time he'll run later.  (I
haven't tested this idea yet. It may work better with some credit
algorithms than others.)

The problem with inducing a guest to call schedule():
* It may not have any other runnable processes, or it may choose the
same process to run again; so it may not switch the cr3 anyway.
* The only reliable way to do it without some kind of
paravirtualization (if even a kernel driver) would be to give it a
timer interrupt, which may mess up other things on the system, such as
the system time.

If you're really keen to preempt on return to userspace, you could try
something like the following.  Before delivering the interrupt, note
the EIP the guest is at.  If it's in user space, set a hardware
breakpoint at that address.  Then deliver the interrupt.  If the guest
calls schedule(), you can catch the CR3 switch; if it returns to the
same process, it will hit the breakpoint.

Two possible problems:
* For reasons of ancient history, the iret instruction may set the RF
flag in the EFLAGS register, which will cause the breakpoint not to
fire after the guest iret.  You may need to decode the instruction and
set the breakpoint at the instruction after, or something like that.
* I believe windows doens't do a cr3 switch if it does a *thread*
switch.  If so, on a thread switch you'll get neither the CR3 switch
nor the breakpoint (since the other thread is probably running
somewhere else).

Peace,
 -George