Re: [Xen-devel] hypervisor memory usage

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] hypervisor memory usage
From: Vladimir Zidar <mr_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:02:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 05:03:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sounds possible. However it would be great if there was switch to disable that feature in case hardware is not capable of VT-d, as I'd rather use those 300mb than have software support for something that I can't actually use.

Thanks for hints, you were very helpful.

I'll dig more into rhel/centos xen sources to look for any reference to vt-d.

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
I understand that this could be due to rhel patches, and maybe doesn't relate to official xen builds, but I'd like to know if this issue was known or not before jumping into xen 3.4 - as it won't be direct rpm/yum upgrade path.

RHEL 5.4 (-164 kernel) added more support for VT-d etc, so maybe that's why
more DMA memory is reserved. dunno.

-- Pasi