Re: [Xen-devel] Scheduler problem in XEN 3.4.0

Pankaj Parakh wrote:
Hi George,

Thanks for showing interest, First of all I'll try to setup debugging
environment for Xen, I also checked the mailing list of Ananth also I
know him personally, he has left it some where in middle.

I tried printk's and locking method to find out which function is
being called in schedule.c, I found the following sequence:-

schedule_init()
schedule_domain_init()
schedule_vcpu_init()
schedule_domain_init()
schedule_vcpu_init()
(from here no function is called from schedule.c, but system hangs)

I cant say what the problem is, I am only changing the sched_priv data
of vcpu struct, also my rr sched has only three functions viz
init_vcpu, destroy_vcpu, do_schedule.

I have attached the code as well.

Following are my doubts:
[Language point: In many English dialects, such as US and UK, "doubt" implies something negative. To avoid being misunderstood by speakers of those dialects, "questions" might be a better word to use.]
1. Is the above function sequence is right ? Why two times init_domain
is called during the boot.
I suspect that the idle domain (32727) and domain 0 are the two domains being initialized. You could easily find out by adding the domain id to the printk.
2. Do a scheduler policy need to manipulate other part of vcpu struct
(other than sched_priv)
I don't believe so. You could look through other schedulers (like the credit scheduler) to see if this is so.
3. Is it necessary to maintain domain information inside scheduler policy
I don't know.

A quick scan through the attached file turn up a couple of points:
+ It appears that the algorithm adds *all* vcpus to a single global runqueue, and scans through them looking for "runnable" vcpus on schedule. This seems pretty pointless: why not add them to the global runqueue on wake? + Furthermore, I'm not sure your linked-list implementation is sound; for example, the initial v->sched_priv is not initialized to NULL. (Not going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out if that's OK or not.) + There is some missing logic regarding the v->processor field and sync_vcpu_execstate(). Xen is designed expecting a per-cpu runqueue with explicit migrations of vcpus between pcpus. One of the reasons for this is so that when switching between a vcpu and the idle domain, it doesn't actually need to do a full context switch. As a result, if you run a vcpu on one cpu, and then run it on another without an explicit sync, you may have stale data in the vcpu struct (and Xen will throw a BUG). + You don't implement a .wake() method. I think that Xen will wake() dom0 when it's ready, expecting the .wake() method to raise a SCHEDULE softirq on the appropriate pcpu (from which the .do_schedule() method is called). So no wake method means no schedule(), and no schedule means it just runs the idle domain.

It might be best to start with just one pcpu, and adding multiple cpus once you get things running. Try adding a wake() method that will check to see if cpu 0 is idle; if it is, raise SCHEDULE_SOFTIRQ on that cpu, and see what you get. After that, try adding some logic to figure out which other cpu to wake instead; but be advised that you'll probably hit the BUG() relating to sync_vcpu_execstate() not being properly called.

-George
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM, George Dunlap