Re: [Xen-devel] At what places is an event handler called besides a hype

To: Shu Wu <superwushu@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] At what places is an event handler called besides a hypercall?
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:56:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:56:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 22/10/2009 08:34, "Shu Wu" <superwushu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, folks. I'm puzzled when the event handler is called in xen. I've only
> found a pending check and an upcall at the end of each hypercall. And an event
> delivery will cause a schedule, but no calling to the handler. So it seems
> when a domain sends a event to the other, the handler of that domain won't be
> called until it makes a hypercall or check it itself. That sounds not so
> reasonable. Could anyone tell me the truth? Thanks!

Events are checked for on any return to guest context. If the event sender
sees the receiver is running on another CPU, it sends an IPI, and on return
to guest context from that IPI the receiving CPU will deliver the event to
the receiving guest.

 -- Keir