[Xen-devel] Stock 2.6.27 kernel hanging on WP test

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Stock 2.6.27 kernel hanging on WP test
From: Gianluca Guida <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:18:09 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:48:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:
 > When I boot Fedora 9 with a stock 2.7.26.25 32-bit-PAE kernel, it's
 > hanging forever in the WP test.  I'm running current xen-unstable
 > 1d7221667204.
 >
 > Another kernel (I think non-PAE this time) complained that the WP test
 > failed (ie, supervisor was allowed to write to a RO page without fault).

Hm. Given what you say in the follow-up emails, this looks like a
pretty huge bug.  Something must be very wrong since we're not
distinguishing between user-driven faults and actual shadow bugs. *OR*
we're failing injecting the fault (very unlikely).

 > The previous version of Xen I tried (only a couple of days ago), crashed
 > with "(XEN) Assertion 'v->arch.paging.mode' failed at multi.c:4069" when
 > starting the same domain, but I'm not sure if it got to the same point.

This seems more like a race at domain creation.

Gianluca