[Xen-devel] default xen "make world" again dependent on non-xenbits repo

To: "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] default xen "make world" again dependent on non-xenbits repositories and non-http protocol
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:18:33 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Argh!  I know there's been a lot of effort over the years
on driving the Xen build mechanism to work from a single
server (xenbits).  I notice that (probably for awhile, but
I just noticed it) a default "make world" on a fresh
clone again depends on a different server, namely
git.kernel.org.  If it is down or otherwise inaccessible
(e.g. due to git proxying) the Xen "make world" fails.

I guess one can get around it by avoiding the pv_ops
kernel with:

KERNELS=linux-2.6-xen0 make world

but it would be nice if "make world" defaulted to fetch
all the bits via http and preferably from one server.
It's no fun to launch a "make world" on a fresh clone
on a fresh machine, expecting it to take hours and then
come back to that machine hours later only to find that
the build died hours ago.

</gripe off>
Dan