Re: [Xen-devel] pvops: boot locks up while initialising PCI

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pvops: boot locks up while initialising PCI
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:26:00 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:27:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 24/09/2009 00:29, "Jeremy Fitzhardinge" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Thanks for the advice with regards to hvc0, that is working well.
>> I am now observing a problem while initialising the iommu.
>> I have worked around this by setting iommu=off.
>>

> Ah, OK, someone else noticed that too.  I guess we should inhibit iommu
> init somehow.
>
> Keir, is Xen supposed to disable the DMAR for dom0 by stomping on acpi
> or something?  Or was that about something else?

Xen does this. In 3.4 and earlier it disables it only if Xen has iommu
enabled itself. In xen-unstable it nobbles DMAR tables in all cases --
presumably this is Intel's fix for the very issue you are talking about.

Probably Intel's fix needs backport to 3.4?

 -- Keir