Re: [Xen-devel] cpu_*(), #define, and &

To: George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] cpu_*(), #define, and &
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:03:53 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:04:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 21/09/2009 17:49, "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope I'm not bikeshedding here
> (http://catb.org/jargon/html/B/bikeshedding.html), but I'm not really
> happy with the cpu_*() macros in cpumask.h adding ampersands before
> the arguments.  In C (as opposed to C++), passing a non-pointer
> generally means that no values are going to be changed.  Other than
> Linux similarity, is there a good reason to do this in a macro, rather
> than just having the caller provide the &?  Would anyone object to me
> submitting a patch to change that?
>
> (A patch to change it looks to be rather big and boring, so I want to
> talk about it first before doing it...)

I somewhat agree about the pointless macro-ification in cpumask.h, but I
don't care enough about this to diverge from the original Linux definitions.
The cpumask macros which modify the given mask are named to make it pretty
obvious. We'll live with it; it's not really that annoying.

 -- Keir