Re: [Xen-devel] Balloon down memory failed in x86 PAE mode when memory s

To: Paul Durrant <paul.durrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Balloon down memory failed in x86 PAE mode when memory size>4G
From: ANNIE LI <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:41:43 +0800
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:42:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul Durrant wrote:
ANNIE LI wrote:
I implemented balloon in windows pv driver, it works normally on x86 and
x64 OS.
However, i hit problem to balloon down memory on x86 PAE mode VM when
it's memory
size is larger than 4G.

Which version of windows are you booting? It may not be using PAE; check your boot flags.
I am using Srv2008 X86. The memory size in this VM shows as 5.97GB. And I thought PAE mode was enabled in this OS if the memory size is larger than 4G and pae was set 1 in vm configure file. right?

Following is my Srv2008 X86 configure file:

acpi = 1
apic = 1
boot = 'c'
builder = 'hvm'
bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub'
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
disk = [
'file:/mnt/running_pool/win2k8/System.img,hda,w',
]
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
memory = '6114'
name = 'win2k8_32'