Re: [Xen-devel] How to submit code changes for Xen?

To: "Yi, Shunli" <syi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to submit code changes for Xen?
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:59:11 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:00:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=SmEU1ayKYjIVIzg7tz9Fe1917laFFeuygh/71Xvlv2g=; b=p1WXRDaU7fCsHUZbMMHcilU+qi5pptJXhoUNLt3gF3gznZCnFfGCr907WIZ9uK0vzk V3u8+bymN9kNRuTTOEEiVThDcl+OSQ40MTuhIayC9M5H2hukRjYPGxZxfAPXrmmhmGde RvIqdG673VvZT7YhtW6dRONTBYhkLrS6+36AA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I believe the accepted protocol is to re-send the patch after 2-4
weeks, with a comment to the effect that you didn't get a response
last time; perhaps with the [RESEND] in the subject line, to alert
people that the last mail was dropped?

Obviously it would be nice if everyone got a comment the first time,
but that's not always possible.  This method may seem a little less
friendly, but in fact it has several positive attributes:
* It distributes the responsibility of keeping track of patches,
rather than having a centralized location
* It naturally filters out low-interest patches.  If neither the
submitter nor others on the list find it interesting, they naturally
get dropped instead of piling up in a queue somewhere; whereas, if the
submitter considers it interesting and important, he will persist
until he gets a response.

The main difficulty is letting new people know the policy: don't take
it hard if you don't get a response, just re-send after a few weeks.

Stephen, is there a "xen-devel guidelines" page up anywhere?  It might
be have something we can point people to, or that Google would turn up
if someone searched for "submitting patches to Xen"...

 -George