Re: [Xen-devel] problem when checkpoint a running domain

To: ANNIE LI <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] problem when checkpoint a running domain
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:34:04 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:36:06 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/09/2009 00:45, "ANNIE LI" <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When using "xm save -c" to checkpoint a running domain, the hypercall
> SHUTDOWN_suspend should return 1, right?

Yes. The bit of code of interest here is in
tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py -- search for 'fast =
self.info.get_notes().get('SUSPEND_CANCEL') and 1 or 0', and the following
code up to 'xc.domain_resume(self.domid, fast)'. For suspend cancellation to
work right you should be seeing fast=1. And that gets passed to
xc_domain_resume() in tools/libxc/xc_resume.c. So you should be able to
follow that code through and debug what's happening.

> However, it return 0 in my winpv driver. And i did not pass start_info
> as a parameter to the hypercall, is it necessary to write the magic word
> in start_info and then pass it as a parameter to suspend hypercall to
> support "xm save -c"?

No, the argument to HYPERVISOR_suspend() is unused for HVM guests -- you can
just pass zero.

> There is also a suspend-cancel key in xenstore, and it's value is 1.
> What is it for? Need i do some process with this xenstore key?

No. It indicates that the xend assumes all PV-on-HVM drivers support suspend
cancellation.

 -- Keir