Re: [Xen-devel] How to minimize the compilation time of the XEN code

Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to minimize the compilation time of the XEN code
From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 02:54:35 -0700
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 02:55:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
You can use the -j option to make to build in parallel, which speeds things
up quite a bit.

In my tests on a quad core Xeon, I found that it was fastest to have more jobs than cores. That is, with my four cores, it was best to say "-j 8".

The reason that works I think is that sometimes a job is blocked waiting for I/O. During that time a compute-bound job can run. If you only have as many jobs as cores, sometimes a core will be idle when its process is blocked.

The best number of jobs will be highly dependent on your configuration though. It's worthwhile to test using the "time" command:

time make -j 8

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen