RE: [Xen-devel] nVidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI Express x16 VGA PassThroughto

To: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] nVidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI Express x16 VGA PassThroughto Windows XP Home 32-bit HVM Virtual Machine with Intel Desktop BoardDQ45CB
From: <djmagee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:57:24 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:58:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here are the patches I used.

The file ending with a timestamp is the set of patches that was posted on
xen-devel a couple of months ago by someone with a similar H/W set up and
goals.  I applied this to my xen-3.4-testing tree as is.

As I mentioned I'm using a xenified 2.6.29.6.  Of course, I had no idea what
parts of the kernel code in that patch I needed to apply to this much newer
kernel, so I just tried as is.  It failed patching include/linux/pci_regs.h.  I
saw that most of the stuff in the vgapt patch was already in the 2.6.29 kernel,
but some of the PCI_AF_* defines had different values.
Vga-pt-patch-2.6.29.6-pci_regs.patch is my patch to that file, and
vga-pt-patch-kernel-only contains the kernel patches from the original file but
after a global replace to make sure they used the slightly different PCI_AF_*
names.  I simply made sure that the values would end up the same as they would
have been in the 2.6.18-xen kernel.  I wouldn't know if this was the right
approach.

I did not apply the FLR patch that is in xen-unstable, and I was under the
impression the same capability is in the patch I've attached.  For what it's
worth, when I start a guest with the video card assigned and vga_passthrough=1,
I can hear the fan on the video card spin up for a few seconds just as it does
when the real machine (re)boots.

If I (or my test environment) can be of any assistance please let me know.  I
saw that intel plans on releasing vga passthrough patches soon so I'll be
looking out for those.

Doug Magee