Re: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV

To: ANNIE LI <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:27:47 +0100
Cc: Joshua West <jwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:28:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 20/08/2009 09:17, "ANNIE LI" <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Like I said before -- unmapping the gnttab pages I think will not help you
>> for live migration, but I suppose it is a reasonable thing to do anyway. For
>> live migration I think xc_domain_save needs t get a bit smarter about
>> Xenheap pages in HVM guests.
> Yes. The live migration of windows domu with pv driver failed again
> after we added unmapping gnttab and shinfo pages in suspending process.
> The save process is OK, but the restore hit the similar problem. So what
> should we do in windows pv driver to avoid this problem? Any suggestion
> for this issue?

Balloon down by (#gnttab+#shinfo) pages when PV drivers first load. You
could do this instead of unmapping gnttab+shinfo pages on suspend, or as
well as.

Ultimately the 'right' fix will need to be implemented in Xen and dom0
tools. But the above kludge would work perfectly well I believe.

 -- Keir