Home Products Support Community News

Re: [Xen-devel] capturing windows crash dumps

> > > The memory in question could be anything from 64kb (minidump) to the
> > > size of DomU memory (full dump) or somewhere inbetween (kernel
> dump).
> > > I'm normally just interested in the kernel dump which is normally a
> much
> > > more respectable size, but still not the size of memory you can
> easily
> > > find when the system has gone belly up.
> >
> > Hmm, okay. Could you dump it out over the emulated serial line?
> >
> The more I look into it the less fond I get of this idea... I already
> use the serial line for other things.

Not being familiar with Windows dumps, but only with Linux kdump (which is
a mini-Linux distro running in 64MB - that includes the initrd.img and + RAM
which can dump the entire memory on to whatever you want (NFS, disk, USB, etc).

How does Windows natively/normally do its dump? Is it just dumping the entire
memory space
on the local disk? Or do you have to set special flags to do so from the driver?

Xen-devel mailing list