RE: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:26:31 +1000
Cc: Joshua West <jwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 02:27:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Is the host simply out of memory? If dom22 above has 196576 pages and
> max_pages=197632 then an allocation of 33 order-0 extents should not
fail
> due to over-commitment to the guest.

I added some more debugging...

batch 1024 [1]
Allocating 1024 mfns [2]
197600 allocated [3]
batch 1024
Allocating 33 mfns
Failed allocation for dom 24: 33 extents of order 0 (err = 32) [4]

[1] is just after 'j' is read in xc_domain_restore
[2] is just before the call to populate_physmap
[3] is just after the call to populate_physmap
[4] is the error message in the memory_op function in libxc modified to
give the value of err

According to the a total of 197632 are being allocated and the last page
cannot be (could be more pages required the next time around the loop
too...)

James