[Xen-devel] RE: TSC scaling and softtsc reprise, and PROPOSAL

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: TSC scaling and softtsc reprise, and PROPOSAL
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:47:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> And not specifying tsc_freq gets you
> current behaviour (pass through host TSC where possible).

I fear that unless the default is changed, it will
not be possible to sufficiently explain the problem
to users/administrators and the option will not get
turned on. In which case, it might as well not be
done at all... just one more obscure option that
nobody understands or uses.

Given that correctness is at stake (and given that
Xen's primary competitors are choosing correctness
over performance), I see this as a Xen developer
problem to fix, not one to pawn off on harried
system admins.

Savvy system admins (who know every app in their
data center and/or are willing to take the risk
for better performance) should be able to easily
disable softtsc though on all servers with a xen boot
option, or on a per VM basis.

We could quibble about details (maybe softtsc
should only be automatically enabled on SMP guests
or on 64-bit SMP guests or ?? ) but I suspect
that just creates a mess and IMHO we should just
bite the bullet.