Re: [Xen-devel] Cpu pools discussion

At 13:50 +0100 on 28 Jul (1248789008), George Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Juergen
> Gross<juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Tim Deegan wrote:
> >> That's easily done by setting affinity masks in the tools, without
> >> needing any mechanism in Xen.
> >
> > More or less.
> > You have to set the affinity masks for ALL domains to avoid scheduling on
> > the
> > "special" cpus.

Bah.  You have to set the CPU pool of all domains to achieve the same
thing; in any case this kind of thing is what toolstacks are good at. :)

> > You won't have reliable scheduling weights any more.

That's a much more interesting argument.  It seems to me that in this
simple case the scheduling weights will work out OK, but I can see that
in the general case it gets entertaining.

> Given that people want to partition a machine, I think cpu pools makes
> the most sense:
> * From a user perspective it's easier; no need to pin every VM, simply
> assign which pool it starts in

I'll say it again because I think it's important: policy belongs in the
tools.  User-friendly abstractions don't have to extend into the
hypervisor interfaces unless...

> * From a scheduler perspective, it makes thinking about the algorithms
> easier.  It's OK to build in the assumption that each VM can run
> anywhere.  Other than partitioning, there's no real need to adjust the
> scheduling algorithm to do it.

...unless there's a benefit to keeping the hypervisor simple.  Which
this certainly looks like.

Does strict partitioning of CPUs like this satisfy everyone's
requirements?  Bearing in mind that

 - It's not work-conserving, i.e. it doesn't allow best-effort
   scheduling of pool A's vCPUs on the idle CPUs of pool B.

 - It restricts the maximum useful number of vCPUs per guest to the size
   of a pool rather than the size of the machine.

 - dom0 would be restricted to a subset of CPUs.  That seems OK to me
   but occasionally people talk about having dom0's vCPUs pinned 1-1 on
   the physical CPUs.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.