Re: [Xen-devel] change cd iso image in hvm but loop not changed?

To: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] change cd iso image in hvm but loop not changed?
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:17:48 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 03:18:18 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=zR9AwksmTRco0Oa6iz/rmG/K6ZVAx+vnTJC441uhrpM=; b=lYp0aHDixIzDePVtOnuD9vR+dfr/ZC6IFObOYsuOymZAdjIa6wwV/TpL1uF0Zm9thG EwDIhtWPcbKe+4zyGa9w+VqF3DIhUQVTU1tphX2duka4gMuk1SWhBWDys/TN3kf/36rv MGFvGXWG1A9vQu8kcpbMyvie9EYLzLJi6ovkU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Stefano
Stabellini<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Andrew Lyon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I booted a windows hvm with a iso image (/root/t.iso) connected to the
>> cdrom, I then changed the iso image using the following technique:
>>

>> I used xm block-list <domid> to find the cdrom be-path:
>>
>> 5632   0    0     1      -1     -1    /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/3/5632
>>
>> To make absolutely sure I got the right device I used xenstore-read:
>>
>> xenstore-read /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/3/5632/params
>>
>> /root/t.iso
>>

>> I then used xenstore-write to change the iso image:
>>
>>  xenstore-write /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/3/5632/params
>> /home/admin/isos/sql2k8.iso
>>

>> After a few seconds the new cd appears in windows, however there is
>> still a loop device setup for the original iso image:
>>
>> losetup -a
>> /dev/loop/0: [0802]:1517 (/root/t.iso)
>>

>> Why is this setup? if the cd can be changed without mounting the new
>> iso as a loop device why do it in the first place?
>>
>> the hvm has gplpv drivers loaded but they do not provide cdrom, it is
>> emulated.
>
> Qemu opens cdrom images directly using open and set a watch on params on
> xenstore to recognize if someone changes the cdrom image and if it
> happens it closes the old one and open the new one.
> On the other hand the vbd backend for the cdrom is set by xend\hotplug scripts
> at domain creation so it is never updated afterward.
> If you have time to write a patch for xend to better handle cdrom
> changes we would be glad to accept it :)

I still dont understand why it is necessary to loopback mount the iso
image if I can change it without the new image being loopback mounted,
what is the loop device used for?

Andy