RE: [Xen-devel] usb passthrough

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] usb passthrough
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:48:36 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:49:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(http://www.nabble.com/-RFC--PATCH-0-4--PVUSB:-add-paravirtualized-USB-s
> upport-for-Xen-td22550607.html), I can't have a USB harddisk used by
> Dom0 and also pass through another USB harddisk to DomU, because Dom0
> will claim the device.
>
> Is this a fundamental issue that can't be solved without a lot of
> mucking around or is there an easier way around it?

I have found that I can do the following:

echo -n "1-7:1.0" >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage/unbind
echo -n "1-7:1.0" >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbback/bind

which will cause usb-storage to unbind from the device and then get
usbback to bind to it. Not completely ideal but it should work for the
testing I want to do.

It would be nicer if we could do something like "echo -n '1-7:1.0'
>/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage/never_bind" or something to
permanently block a driver from binding to a specific device, but that's
a post for another list :)

James