Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow's Dirty Bit Problem

To: zhujun <zhujun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow's Dirty Bit Problem
From: Gianluca Guida <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:02:25 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 05:02:53 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=RLj2cTYCKxfREXOraxHokDjdLYvfmxvLdbLTKB/bUXI=; b=LpluIVrEUEmDpKBytClyWz2QDlpB8ZuuA+JZiASH/+uHY4PZZWGq6irlBNBjJC4Gc7 zfN2np5OcdRQjdOetkk8zfaLAIkGl5fQobwJIvsXqz3jbLBMHQhHm27eyRThfXfXkZSo hpu6teJUe6LPpAz+fTnFm6XUxaQS7WZR/u9/w=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM, zhujun<zhujun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>          In the function _sh_propagate, the A&D bits of all the shadow page
> tables entries above level 1 will be set. (// Set the A&D bits for higher
> level shadows). I am very confused about it. From Intel manual, the Dirty
> bit above level 1 is reserved and must be set 0. Am I right? If yes, how
> does the shadow page table deal with this problem?

Actually, it is an available bit in higher level. So there's no
problem in putting it to 1.  Also, note that there are level 2 entries
with dirty bits: superpages ones.

>          Another question. In Xen’s current version, does it use the Dirty
> bit to do something?

It's used only for tracking VRAM, to know whether the guest wrote to
the VGA buffer or not. Otherwhise, we set it to one.

Thanks,
Gianluca

--
It was a type of people I did not know, I found them very strange and
they did not inspire confidence at all. Later I learned that I had been