RE: [Xen-devel] How to determine memory size in HVM

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] How to determine memory size in HVM
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:42:18 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:42:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hypercall XENMEM_current_reservation.
>
> *But* be aware I'm not sure how that interacts with e.g., virtual
> framebuffer memory. Well, actually I know it will include the virtual
> framebuffer memory which is not actually really part of normal guest
RAM.
> The question will be: does the xenstore 'target' value also include
it? I
> guess you'll have to compare to create a HVM guest and compare the two
> decide.

memory/target = 786432KB
XENMEM_current_reservation = 198623 pages

198623 << PAGE_SHIFT = 794492KB
794492KB - 786432KB = 8060KB

So I have 8060KB unaccounted for... I guess that's probably the
framebuffer. According to Device Manager in Windows, the CL5446 device
uses 64KB of memory at 0xA0000, 32MB at 0xF0000000, and 4KB at
0xF3000000. That's more than the extra 8MB, but it would make sense that
the 32MB wouldn't all be mapped in if it wasn't required.

James