Re: [Xen-devel] VT-d HowTo Update

To: Leonard Michelet <leonard.michelet@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VT-d HowTo Update
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:13:33 +1000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:13:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:11:00AM -0700, Leonard Michelet wrote:

> Hi, Simon
> I've read it, and it's much more complete than before. Thanks a lot.
> Beside, you don't write about the library PCI devel that you need when you
> compile Xen to enable PCI passtrought, and so, the use of VT-d. Debian
> package is libpci_dev.
> Is this library still necessary to use VT-d? If yes, shouldn't you write
> about it in this wiki page?
> >From my experience, I lost some times before finding that I had to compil
> with this lib.

Yes, I lost some time due to that too, and it is neccessary.

I tried to avoid discussing compilation issues as its a bit of a can of
worms because they are usually very dependant on the system in use.
But this probably is worth a mention.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K. Satellite Lab in Sydney, Australia