Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow Page Tables in Xen

To: priya sehgal <priyagps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow Page Tables in Xen
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:45:49 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 04:46:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

At 12:37 +0100 on 21 Apr (1240317466), priya sehgal wrote:
> We have a course project, in which we have to improve the performance
> of live migration for HVM guests. It seems that to support live
> migration, all the page table entries in the shadow page table are
> marked as write protected, so as to know which pages are dirtied and
> to be sent to the other machine. Since, there will be many page faults
> leading to performance degradation, we want to reduce these page
> faults. In our course project, we are supposed to form groups of pages
> and if any page in the group hits the page fault (due to
> write-protection), we mark all the pages in the group as RW. This way
> we can reduce the page faults.

I see.  Yes, in the shadow pagetables that should be easy enough; the
shadow_set_l1e() function is where the read-only mapping will be
replaced by a read-write one, which should be a hint that you might want
to reconsider its neighbours.

> This is based on some hueristic that if a page is written, its
> immediate neighbors will also be written.

I'd be interested to hear how it trades off against increaded bandwicth
use.

Cheers,

Tim.