Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Scheduler work, part 1: High-level goals and inter

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Scheduler work, part 1: High-level goals and interface.
From: George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:05:44 +0100
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:06:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
The only way to know is by measurement, ideally with some specific performance counter which tells you what went on in that last timeslice. But if this is a big issue, you can always disable HT, as lots of people did the last time around.
I think measurement, both of total system throughput and individual VM throughput, is the final word on all designs. I certainly plan on testing and comparing throughput for a variety of workloads as I develop the scheduler. And I encourage anyone with the time and inclination to try to find workloads for which the scheduler performs poorly as new features (such as the proposed HT scheduling) are introduced. :-)

Peace,
-George