[Xen-devel] eth0 ipaliases disappear

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] eth0 ipaliases disappear
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:22:43 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:24:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've now seen this problem now for years, and i've posted on the ML about it before too with little responce. I have a problem when switching (soft reboot) from the CentOS kernel (non xen kernel) to a xen kernel (non centos xen kernel). Everything comes up fine, but what happens is i start gettign complaints from customers that ipaliases on there DomU's are non responsive. The primary (eth0) ip is alive and well but if you try to ping a ip say bound to eth0:1 you get nothing. The temp solution to the problem is to log into that customers DomU and run arping using the source ip as the eth0:1 device and hit the router (0.0.0.0). This brings back up the eth0:1 alias until the arp once again times out. So far the only real solution i've found is that i have to hard reboot the host, and make sure it boots the Xen kernel from the start, if it boots up on a stock centos kernel it will happen again. Anybody else experience this problem? so far i've seen this problem back 3.0.4-1 using kernel 2.6.16.38 but am now running 3.3.1 against 2.6.18.8 and still see the problem.

My hosts are pretty much the same, the hardware has changed alittle over the years but it's basically all supermicro stuff. Network cards are intel

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01) 04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)

The router shows incompelete for the ips not working when you do a show arp on them.

Anybody else expereince this probelm? I'm running domU's in bridge mode (xenbr0 -> vif)

~Shaun