[Xen-devel] Re: 2.6.30 Xen merge plan (what's in xen.git)

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: 2.6.30 Xen merge plan (what's in xen.git)
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:48:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:50:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ingo, Linus,
>
> I have several topic branches which I'd like to merge in this
> merge window.  They fall into two classes: those which make
> significant changes to arch/x86 files, and those which just touch
> Xen-specific files.
>
> The x86-touching ones should definitely go via tip.git, just to
> keep things sane and orderly.
>
> How should we handle the rest?  Should I send them directly to
> Linus, or put them via x86.git too?  Either way, they'll generally
> need to go after the non-Xen changes.
>
> (I'll post full pull-requests with diffstats as followups to this mail.)
>
> All branches in git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
>

> Branches which mostly or entirely Xen (only trivial non-Xen changes):
>
> push2/xen/core
>
>    Updates to existing Xen support, features, optimisations, etc.
>
> push2/xen/control
>
>    A set of usermode interfaces for Xen (/sys/hypervisor, /dev/evtchn,
>    updates to xenbus and xenfs)

Will take a look.

> push2/xen/dom0/core
>
>    Core set of changes to add Xen dom0 functionality.  (Mostly
>    Xen-only, but adds a new Xen mtrr driver.)

I suspect this makes limited sense without the arch dom0 changes so
they should go with this bucket:

> Branches with non-trivial non-Xen changes:
>
> push2/x86/paravirt
>
>    Allow preemption while doing a lazy mmu update.

That's probably OK, just a bit late. If Thomas signs off on them
then i guess it might be OK later in the window - he's the one who
was struggling with paravirt lazy mmu fallout in the past. Thomas?

> push2/xen/dom0/apic
>
>    Changes to hook the Xen dom0 apic model into the standard platform
>    apic code.  HPA reviewed and OKed this.
>
> push2/xen/dom0/pci
>
>    Add a Xen pci driver and dma_ops implementations.  Small changes to
>    x86 pci+swiotlb code to add some function calls.
>
> push2/xen/dom0/agp
>
>    Change the AGP driver to allocate its memory using the
>    pci_alloc_coherent to get guaranteed physically contiguous memory,
>    and use proper phys<->bus functions so that Xen's pseudo-phys <->
>    machine mappings are handled properly.

hpa wanted dom0 changes in some cleaner fashion - he knows the
details. (he'll be back in a few days)

        Ingo