Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.3.1 compilation problems

To: Ananth <cbananth@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.3.1 compilation problems
From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:59:11 +0530
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 05:29:35 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=WRmdt1ZTN984/8Jwd1drnOaFgrSXYOILEWNW9h/i23k=; b=ijplUYClU/AJvFOLEarxq2SL7kUxKinZ0ljioA61lnuvDivZqBQaO574Z5gqainqSS /qv+qs63sBRrCj+dWENFbMAAE47rNXCReK19AxKbN9FuU4DezAysN8yOC4nsBGZW6+Gm kPxbnxgUACZXMgHp0iub80WO/sNRicrvBiwDg=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/3/23 Ananth <cbananth@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> I am facing problems while compiling Xen from source. Below are the steps I
> followed to compile. I see various commands being suggested in various sites
> and READMEs. I did not understand which is the correct way to do it. I am
> using openSuse 11.0.
>
> 1. I downloaded the source tarball from http://www.xen.org/download/
>
> 2. Extracted the contents into /usr/src and executed the following commands
> as root
>
> 3. make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
>
> 4. I selected necessary configurations in menuconfig and saved the settings
>
> 5. make linux-2.6-xen0-build
>
> 6. make linux-2.6-xen0-install
>
> 7. mkinitrd -v -i /boot/initrd-2.6.18-xen0 -k /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen0
>     This is because, mkinitrd with the other flags such as ' --with= ' dont
> seem to be working on my distro. I am not sure if there is a different
> syntax or the way options are specified is different. However since the
> kernel image is generated using the previous commands, I created the initrd
> image for the kernel image by specifying the name of the kernel image using
> -k.
>
> 8. make install KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0" -- This installs the necessary
> tools I believe. This did not go to successful completion. It was running on
> an infinite loop displaying the same set of contents again and again. But
> since they are just tools, I aborted and edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst to
> add an entry for the compiled xen.
>
> When I reboot into the compiled kernel, the system halts when the splash
> screen is getting loaded. Hence i edited the file /etc/inittab and changed
> the runlevel from 5 to 3.

try running startx after logging in runlevel 3.
or
try these
1. Delete xorg.conf and restart
or
2. You could try a different video mode by passing "vga=ask" at your
boot prompt. at kernel command line and select a different video mode
options.