[Xen-devel] 3D Mark differs a lot when testing on Native and xen machine

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] 3D Mark differs a lot when testing on Native and xen machine
From: "Xia, Liangfu" <liangfu.xia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:58:48 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Xia, Liangfu" <liangfu.xia@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:01:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

         I confronted with an interesting problem. I have one machine with 2GB RAM. I did the following experiments;

1)         When running vista based on xen such as domain vista, I assign it 1GB memory and 1GB memory left for domain0; it can get a 3D Mark score: 269;

2)         After step 1, I plug 1GB memory and the physical memory of the machine is changed to 1GB; in the native mode of vista, it gets a 3D Mark score: 200;

3)         After step 2, I changed my machine’s physical memory to 2GB, run 3D Mark again, it gets a 3D Mark score: 271;

         Now I am confused about this problem: why native system with 1GB memory gets a worse result comparing to virtual system with 1GB memory?

         Does the above domain vista use the memory of domain 0? Or it won’t get nearly the same result as native system with 2GB physical memory.

Thanks