Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the uni

To: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:08:29 +0000
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 02:08:55 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 02/03/2009 09:53, "Simon Horman" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Not really what I had in mind. Xend can do the GSI->slot mapping, to ensure
>> non-conflicting GSIs. I don't think any hypervisor changes are required, let
>> alone substantial ones.
>
> Is the idea that xend would allocate a gsi to a device and
> then pass that gsi along as part of the device configuration
> to the device model?
>
> If so, I think something similar to what I wrote, but moved
> into xend could work quite well. But I sense that wasn't what
> you had in mind either.

I mean that xend can pick a virtual devfn for the device that it knows has a
non-conflicting GSI. This avoids any need for dynamic mapping between devfn
and GSI (which would be more of a pain in the neck -- for example, your
patch doesn't work because certain parts of BIOS info tables need to be
dynamically generated, as currently they hardcode the devfn-GSI
relationship).

 -- Keir