Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI passthrough and 3.3.1/3.4.0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI passthrough and 3.3.1/3.4.0
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 04:22:01 +0000
Cc: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:22:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Unfortunately this is not the case: as far as I know there is no
> pci-frontend yet, so pass-through is still not possible with vanilla
> linux as domU...

I was considering that (perhaps non-obviously!) as being "dom0-type"
functionality.  But I should have said so, so thank you for pointing it out.

Part of the code required (aside from pcifront itself) would actually be code
to make DMA work properly - code which dom0 has to have whereas an
unprivileged domU does not.  I assume that this code will go into the kernel
if basic dom0 support is merged; that might make a pcifront in Linux upstream
somewhat more likely.  Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Mark