[Xen-devel] iommu hangs boot

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] iommu hangs boot
From: Alexia Benington <alexbenington@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:00:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:02:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

There was a similar thread I started earlier, however as the title
didn't correctly reflect the symptoms. I created this after more
experiments.

Here's some background. I was able to get graphics passthrough to work
on Fedora 10 with Intel DQ45CB and an ATI gfx card inserted. I passed
through the integrated Intel gfx instead of ATI. BIOS was set to use
Intel gfx.

However, when I took out the ATI gfx, the iommu option seems to cause
the boot up to hang, as shown in "090218.1.log". Without iommu=1,
bootup seems normal. But of course passthrough won't work.
Interestingly, when I closed minicom and start it again, I have the
output as shown in "090218.2.log". It doesn't matter whether I'm
hiding any PCI devices from Dom0. Setting iommu=1 is sufficient to
cause the hang. Why is so?

Does anyone have any idea why the presence of ATI gfx seems to make
things work, and removing it causes the hanging?

Thanks and have a good day.

-Alex